Combine trips, walk or bike for some extra exercise and energy savings.
Why You Should Do It
Spending too much time in your car is bad for your health – and your carbon footprint. Shave off ten miles a week and save on gas by walking and biking for close errands, and combining trips to reduce your travel time.
What It Costs
Free! Although make sure you always wear a helmet while biking – those cost about $20.
How to Do It
- Select “Add to My Challenge” and pledge to ditch your car.
- Make a reminder card for yourself and put it by your front door or in your car.
- Using a real map, mark all the stores and locations within a two mile radius of your home so you know where it is easy for you to walk or bike.
- The next time you need to run an errand, check your map and ask yourself: Is my destination within two miles? Could I walk there? Could I bike? Can I combine this trip with others to reduce my trips?
- Make sure you have some good walking shoes and a helmet for your bike!
- Congratulate yourself for saving energy and money and making a difference for Minnesota!
Make It a Family Activity
Instead of loading the family into the van, climb up on your bikes and take a family ride! It’s a fun way to spend time together and get a little extra exercise.
Make It a Group Activity
Ask your friends to come park at your place and take a group walk to a close restaurant, bar or movie theater for a fun outing.