Drive to the speed limit and maintain tire pressure for easy gas savings.
Why You Should Do It
It’s easy to let our foot hang a little heavy on the gas pedal, but keep in mind – when you speed, you’re losing money. Driving the speed limit, particularly on the freeway, helps your car use gas most efficiency and keeps money in your pocket! For extra efficiency boosts, keep your tires at the proper pressure.Source: The Minnesota Energy Challenge
What It Costs
How to Do It
- Select “Add to My Challenge” and pledge to drive the speed limit and maintain proper tire pressure.
- Consider getting a Green Slow Moving Vehicle sticker to remind yourself and others to slow down.
- Put something in your car to remind yourself to drive the speed limit.
- Write on your calendar to check your tire pressure once a month.
- Congratulate yourself for saving energy and money and making a difference for Minnesota!
Make It a Family Activity
Tell your family that you are trying to drive the speed limit on the freeway and you need their help! Every time they notice you speeding, ask them to start singing “The Song That Never Ends” – and stop as soon as you slow down.
If I drive the speed limit, I’m going to be late.
At first, driving the speed limit might be hard, but start paying attention. Time yourself making your morning commute or common car trips driving the speed limit (specifically, 55 on the freeway), then speeding. See how much difference it makes.
Also, keep in mind, getting speeding tickets does slow you down – and costs you money!