Take five minute showers for squeaky-clean energy savings.
Why You Should Do It
It’s easy to lose track of how much time we’re in the shower (especially if you shower before you have your coffee). Taking shorter showers helps reduce your hot water costs.
What It Costs
How to Do It
- Select “Add to My Challenge” and pledge to take a shorter shower.
- Time yourself taking your usual shower and notice how long it took you.
- Set a timer for five minutes and see how it feels.
- Work on reducing your shower time each week until you get to five minuter. Remember, you can still treat yourself with a longer shower every now and then!
- Congratulate yourself for saving energy and money and making a difference for Minnesota!
Make It a Family Activity
Trying to teach younger kids good showering habits? Buy a shower timer - or just a regular kitchen egg timer - and put it in the bathroom. Teach your kids how to set the timer for 5 minutes and encourage them to get out of the shower when the timer goes off. It takes 30 days to set a habit, so if you can get them to use the timer for a month, they'll be hooked! Using the timer yourself and taking five minute showers also sets a good example that they'll want to copy.