Leave your car at home and take the bus once a week for work, school or errands.
Why You Should Do It
You’ll save money on gas and get a chance to relax while you get from point A to point B. Listen to music, read a book, solve a Sudoku and let your driver do the hard work! The average bus commuter also gets more walking in on an average day than a driver, so it’s also a great way to insure you’re getting a little exercise and save energy at the same time.Source: Green Carpet Films
What It Costs
Depending on where you are in the state, a bus fare can range from $0.60 to $2.25. You can usually save by purchasing stored value cards that can be used over and over again.
How to Do It
- Select “Add to My Challenge” and pledge to take the bus instead of driving at least one day a week.
- Look up your local transit authority for schedules and fares.
- Pick a day where it will work best for you to take the bus.
- Make it part of your weekly schedule.
- Congratulate yourself for saving energy and money and making a difference for Minnesota!
Make It a Family Activity
Go For a Ride! The next time you plan a family outing to your favorite spot, see how easy it is to get there by public transportation. Then bring the whole family together for the ride.