Keep in the Cold: Window A/C
Close doors and windows to give your room A/C a break.
Why You Should Do It
Window air conditioning units are designed to efficiently cool single rooms or areas – not the whole house! By shutting open doors to seal off the area, you’ll stay nice and cool – and save some money, too. Cool the air where you need it, faster and more efficiently. Don't forget to close your windows, too!
What It Costs
How to Do It
- Check the capacity of your window air conditioner, or how many cubic feet it is rated to cool. This should give you an idea of where you should install it.
- Once you place the window unit, close all the other windows in the room.
- Define the area (bedroom, living room, etc) that you are going to cool and close the doors that lead in or out of it.
- Turn on the A/C and bask in the cool air.
- You can also use a floor fan to circulate the cool air around your closed area.
- Congratulate yourself for saving energy and money and making a difference for Minnesota!
Make It a Family Activity
A fun arts and crafts project is to decorate signs to put up during the cooling season to remind people to close doors to cooled areas. The more glitter, the better.